Joey Dille's

Quarter Midget #67

Racing Log

These are installments 6 - 10 of a week by week log of our experience in 1999 as a novice team going racing for the first time. They are taken from e-mails that I have sent to my friends. The logs are arranged in order with #1 being our first experience.

Racing Log #6

Whata day...

The racing action started early with practice at 11:00. Joey got out on the track and looked good. He was out by himself and he held a fairly good racing line and was turning laps in the 11-9 second range. I pulled him off I weighed the car & Joey. 240 lbs. The racing minimum is 235 lbs. Five pounds is a good safety margin for gas and clothing variations. I may take a pound or two out as the season progresses. We got in line to go back out.

The next time he went out with 2-3 other jr. Novice kids. This time he was better. The other kids must have made him go faster because he had a few laps in the low 9s to high 8s. He passed a few kids and a few kids passed him. This was very good. :-) Joey also showed some good staying power when he received a few good bumps from the other kids and he kept on going.

I noticed that he was sliding the rear a little coming into the turns so the next time I lowered the tire pressure down to 13 psi from 15. This time he really cooked around the track. I clocked one lap at 7.93 seconds! This was one kick ass time as the track record for Jr. Novice is 7.3. Joey and I retired for lunch.

Joey and I had time for one more practice before sign in. He continued to look good and his times were in the 8s. I decided 13 psi was a good number. I went over to a parts vendor and purchased a new tire, fasteners, some stainless braided fuel line and a roll cage web. (How to make a small fortune in racing. Start with a large one.)

Joey and I signed in and he drew #16, which put him 5th in the 2nd heat race. mom showed up right on que at 3:00 and we were lined up in the staging area. Mom being there made Joey feel good. There were a few cautions at the 1st heat race, but it did not take too long. Before I knew it I was pushing Joey off for his first race.

The 3 minute warm up was OK, but I did not see Joey pass anyone. He was fast, but just stayed in line. Protocol in Jr. Novice is for all of the cars to stop on the track after warm up and to get pushed off in two by two formation. We pushed off and Joey and the rest of the kids held their position well. They went into the green right away. We were racing!

Joey did not see the green for a few seconds and he was passed by two cars. He was down in 7th. 20 laps to go. He started to gain speed and worked his way up to 3rd. At this pint there was about 10 laps to go and I was hoping that he could hold on to third. (A podium finish in his first race would be nice.) Then he started to pull up the the girl in 2nd. He always passed this girl in practice, but he was having a hard time. After a few laps he pulled past her. Joey was in second. He caught up to the guy in first with about 5 laps to go. He kept trying to pass, but could not pull it off. Then on the last lap, coming out of turn 4, Joey stayed low and passed the #1 car. He won by a nose!

What a start! Joey pulled into the pits as he was instructed to do after the race but was imediatly pushed back out on the track by others so he could take his victory lap! He had trouble picking up the flag from the flag man, but after two missed attempts he got it and circled the track with the checkered flying while I did a dance in the pits.

His first place finsh gave him a spot in the A main race. Now for the 4 hour wait until his feature. We had dinner at DQ then came back to watch the big kids race.

When we lined up Joey had on his race face. I was a nervous wreck. They use a semi-inverted start for the main and Joey was 5th again. We pushed off for the 25 lap feature. Joey looked goood in warm up and passed a few kids.

The kids had trouble geting a good line up for the start of the main. The kid in front of Joey (#3) was way slow under caution which mucked the whole process up. The flag man kept motioning for the kid to speed up while Joey was trapped behind. When the green flag finally fell Joey was behind the pack. They got off a few laps and Joey passed a few kids, then the #3 car. This kid was fairly fast in traffic, but super slow in line up. Then there was a caution. Joey had to start in 5th behind the #3 because he passed on the lap that had the caution. The second start was the same. They got off a few more laps, then Joey passed #3, then they went under caution. With about 10 laps left they went under green. There was so much room between the #3 car and Joey that he was in turn 1 when the green flag fell and the other kids were entering turn 3.

Joey finally passed the #3 and two other cars to earn 3rd place in the A main race. The #1 and #2 finished were "experienced" novices since they had raced last year and were just about to move out of the novice class. Joey was very happy. He got his novice book stamped with a record of the finish and a smiley sticker.

I plan to put a picture of Joey with the checkered flag on his racing site mid week.

Race Safe,

Joe Return to index.

Racing Log #7

Team Dille had a interesting day at the track. On the drive up to the track I told Joey that there was two things that I wanted him to work on today. I wanted him to experiment with going over the speed bumps on the very inside of the track. There are little cast concrete bumps on the inside the turns that discourage cutting the corner. Joey has always avoided them like the plague, but the experienced kids can use this area as required on an inside pass. The second thing I wanted to work on was his start. Joey had poor starts on his first two races. He did not see the green until 1/4-1/2 lap had gone by. I told Joey I was not sure weather to look at the starter or the lead car at the start of the race but I would find out. I mentioned that the start was a good time to pass cars.

Joey and I also had a discussion on warming up the car and tires.

Joey and I got there at 1:30 and there were a fair number of cars already on the track the sun was out and it was in the 60s. Life was good. Our first chore was to learn how much a tank of gas weighed. I drained the tank before coming to the track. We weighed the car without gas then filled the tank and weighed it again. The usable gas in the tank weighs 2 pounds.

We suited up and got in line for practice. When it was our turn I pushed off and Joey turned 4-5 slow laps then got down to business. On one of his early laps he took the inside wheels over the bumps with no ill effects.

This week I bought a real racing stop watch. It records 50 laps and it is easy to replay the times. Like the racing tire gage this is an important and useful tool. Joey was turning laps in low 9s and his times were coming down. The important thing was his times were consistent. A hand full of laps were in the 8s We got in 40 laps and I pulled him off.

After praising him I measured the tire pressures. I started at 14 psi all around cold. The outside tires were up to 16-17. I bleed them back to 15 and we waited our turn for more. The next time he went out with two other novice kids. Joey really shines when there are other kids on the track. His times went down to the low 8s into the high 7s. His best time was 7.64 seconds! This is very good considering that the 1998 track record for Jr. Novice is 7.3 and Sr. Novice is 7.7 seconds. (The novice "record" only stands for a year.)

After about 120 laps total we went back to the truck for a snack and a break. I told Joey he did great. I bought a set of front wheel bearings and installed them. While we were walking around I asked two of the more experienced dads where the kid should be looking during the start. They both turned to me and said "flagger" without hesitation. We had our answer.

We got back in line for more practice. Joey did well keeping in the low 8s and high 7s. We pushed the car back to the truck and got in line to sign up. We pulled starting position 6 in the first heat. I saw the track photographer and looked through his photos from last week. He got 3 of Joey last week. One racing. One taking the lead on the last lap. And one with the checkered flag. Needless to say these are on the web page. Check them out.

Joey got out for the warm ups for the first heat and he went around the track. He was off his pace just following the other kids around. His laps were 12-10 seconds. The flagger stopped the cars and we lined up for the start. Joey was on the inside, 3rd row. I reminded Joey to look at the flagger. We pushed off and the kids stayed in fairly good formation, but two got tangled up. Red flag, restart. This time they made two laps in formation and the flagger threw the green. Joey had his head turned to the flagger on the back straight. The flag went down, his head snapped straight and he passed a kid! A couple laps into the race Joey went down low in a corner and passed a kid while going over the bumps. The kid gets an A for listening.

In the short 15 lap heat race Joey was able to move up to 2nd. He did manage to pass one of the cars that beat him in last weeks A main race. This was an accomplishment. The 2nd place finish put Joey in the A main again.

We congratulated Joey on his good work and had a picnic dinner. The family watched the other heats in the other classes. I had a good chance to explain to Patti how the whole race process works. We were able to follow several races from the warm ups through the victory lap. I was able to fill in several important details that she was missing. This was a good thing as it made watching the race more enjoyable. Intermission was over at 7:15 and we were back in line for the A main. The sun was going down and the temperature was in the low 50s. I set the outside tires to 13.5-14 psi. Joey was very excited. He put his helmet on back at the truck and had me push him to the staging area with his helmet and gloves on.

Our second place finish put us in the #3 spot for the start of the 20 lap A-main. The #3 spot gave me the duty of being the corner marshal for turn #3. Things were looking good. I pushed off for warm ups and Joey took 1-2 real slow laps then picked up the pace some. He was following the kid in front of him but not passing.

After push off the kids held a good grouping and Joey was looking at the flagger on the back straight. Joey got a good start. He did not pass, but was not passed. On the second lap Joey got loose coming out of turn 3 and caught it. On the lap 4 or 5 he spun coming out of 4. He did not hit any other cars. The yellow came out, then the red. On line up Joey went to the back of the pack (#8) since he went Dead on Track (DOT).

The restart was a thing of beauty. Joey saw the green and put a pass on the kid in front of him. They got off two laps and two kids tangled. Line up again. Joey was in 7th. Joey gets another good start and things started to look good. Two laps later Joey spins coming out of turn 4. This one you could see his frustration as it was a full 360. Back of the pack... Again.

I did the best I could to salvage Joeys mood. He was very embarrassed I explained about cold tires again an they had not warmed up yet. We push off again and Joey got in 3-4 good laps then got down to business with warm tires. He worked his way up through the pack to take 4th. If the race was longer I think he could have done better.

I was happy with his performance, he was disappointed. I tried to bring out the good things on the day. He passed going over the bumps and his starts were much better. He had also turned his best time ever in practice.

We also discussed cold tires and how we both made mistakes. Joey did not warm up the tires during the warm up period. He also tried to turn too sharp coming out of turn 4. His line early in the race should be closer to the wall. I should have realized temperatures had dropped and I had to drop the air pressure more to try and get some heat into the tire.

This week I will look into my inventory of tiny tires to see if I have a softer tire to run in the cool weather. We will see what we can do no practice on Monday.

Race Safe,

Joe Return to index.

Racing Log #8

It has been a week of ups and downs for team Dille. On Monday afternoon we practiced at the track with Ron Rohner as the video operator. There were no other cars at the track. Joey did real well. After a number of warm up laps Joey started to turn some decent times. Low 9's to high 7's, most everything was in the 8's. The car was a little loose in the back but looked OK once the tires had some heat in them.

On one of Joey's visits to the pits we discussed his times and he said that he could go all the way around with his foot on the floor, but the car started to vibrate funny. I said it was OK to run the car that way. I asked him to try running a few laps like that. He said "OK Daddy". Magic words.

He got back on the track and after a few laps got down to business. Almost instantly he was turning times in the 7's and he was consistant. I could see the heat finally got to the rear tire and it had come "in". The looseness was gone. Joey was flying. His best time was 7.43. This is only 0.1 seconds off the track record. The most important thing was Joey turned 20+ laps in a row under 7 seconds! Now that he can turn consistant times I can explore tweaks to the car.

I pulled him in and I showed him his times. He was happy. I suggested that he take a brake while I try and change the gearing. I figured that the previous owner was in a higher class and ran a larger restrictor. The engine would loose top end and taller gearing might help. I set to task changing the gear. I had counted the axle sprocket at home as a 24 tooth and I brought a 23. When I got the sprocket off I learned it was a 25 (it is hard to count on the car), so I was making a bigger change than I thought. I got the new sprocket on and discovered that the smaller sprocket made the chain much looser. I had run out of adjustment on the chain. I thought it was still OK for a few laps.

As I pushed Joey off I saw the chain flapping around, but it looked like it would stay on. The engine was flopping around a bit. Joey warmed up a bit then turned a few good laps. His best was 7.46. The chain was a flopping around and I pulled Joey in. I can't say if the gearing was an improvement or not since we did not really get in the grove with the new set up.

My plan was to install a 24 tooth gear and get shorter chain and give it another go. When I got home I looked at the motor mount and saw it was broken. I guess the loose chain had caused the weld to break. No wonder, this weld was one of the worst looking I have ever seen. It looked more like paper mache. Penetration nil. I repaired the area by making an angle iron brace and brazing it to the existing parts.

I made up a new chain that was a full link shorter and it was a tad too short to adjust with the new chain so I added a half link. Everything looked fine. I fired the car up in the garage and lubed the chain. I noticed the chain had loostened up a bit from the brief test run. I figured I would have a look when Joey came in from his practice on Friday.

On Friday things worked out a little different. Joey got out there and turned a few good laps and the chain came off after only 20-25 laps. It was flopping around loose as the engine raced and the car coasted. After a bit the chain caught against the spinning sprocket and frame with a crunch and the chain broke falling on the track. I pushed Joey off the track and collected the chain.

Lesson: These chains are cheap and stretch big time when new. New procedure test run, adjust. Five laps and re-adjust. Check after 20 laps.

I installed the old chain and sent Joey back on thre track. The tension looked OK. He got about two laps when this one fell off. Closer inspection showed the motor mount had cracked in a new location. I guess the broken mount allowed the engine to move out of alignment with the axle. Fridays practice was over.

It was crunch time now. I pulled the engine and looked things over. The engine hangs on a U-chanel. The crack was right where the chanel was ground down to clear the chain. I beat the mount back into alignment with a big sledge. I then made doubler from a piece of angle iron for the outside. I also put a second reinforcement on the inside. This took a bit of work with the sawsall. I then brazed the whole lot together. It took about 1/2 hour of tourch time and 2 rods, but it looked and felt sturdy. It was 11:00 when I came in.

On Saturday I decided to stick with the original chain and sprocket. The engine went in just fine and team Dille was good to go.

Joey had a birthday party to attend in the early afternoon. The plan was for me to get to the track and have the car ready. Patti would drop him off in time for the first heat race. I was a little nervous since practice was not in the plan.

Joey pulled third spot in the second heat. Joey was happy to learn that the fast kid "Spencer" was in the first heat. The girl in front of him was good, but he passed here consistantly in practice. The line up went poorly. There were a few tangle ups and we had to stop them and line them up 3-4 times. Finally they got their act together. The green flag dropped and Joey pulled off an inside pass for the lead. Joey motored around as the girl he passed stayed close behind. He was a tad off his speed, but going fast. About 3/4 of the way through he caught some lapped traffic and started to pick up speed. Now the girl was nowhere to be found. Joey took first.

This time the victory lap with the checkered flag went well. He got the flag on the first try. The photographer got a good shot of him with the flag. :-)

Joey transfered to the A main where he was gridded 8th. In the #7 position was Spencer who took first in the first heat. Joey was ready to race. Line ups went better and we only had 1 restart. Joey got a good start and managed to pass a few kids including Spencer. About 4-5 laps into the race a car spun in front of Joey. Joey hit the front wheel of the car, which pushed the other car straight, but stalled Joey. The other car continued, but Joey was DOT (Dead On Track). The judges charged Joey with the DOT, which put him in the back at the start. (IMHO, the other kid was at fault.)

The restart went well and they were off. Joey picked up a few positions. Then about half way through the race he tangled with this other kid during a pass and they slid up to the wall. Full speed and almost head on BAM. The race stopped and we ran out to check on the kids. Of course this had to happen about 15 feet in front of Mom in the stands. I could tell Joey was OK, but way shook. Both kids were crying. The nurse came over and examined them before she let them get out of the cars. This took a while for Joey since he was so embaressed. He was in no mood to play 20 questions with a strange lady.

The crowd cheered as Joey climbed from the car. Racing was over for the night as we lifted the car into the pits.

Mom was more shook than Joey. They went home with Matt. I stayed at the track and assessed the damage. One wheel half and a radius rod with ends. A big hammer should fix the rest. I was hoping not to work on the car this week :-( I bought the replacement parts and headed home.

When I got home Joey and Patti had done a lot of talking and were doing much better. Patti gave Joey a bath and a good full body inspection. The only damage was a small bruise where the sholder belt came across the base of his neck. The bruise had pattern of the weave of his shirt collar. Most importantly, his attitude was good. He wanted to go back racing :-) It looks like I will be back in the front end alignment business. Patti may want to stay home.

I did learn a few things this week. There is an Internet list for quarter midgets. It is fairly high bandwidth with a number of political issues. OTOH you can get some technical info. I learned that they run the Honda engines and geat boxes with about 1/2 the reccomended oil and a lower weight. I am running Mobil 1 0W-30 in both locations. I put 3cc of Dow M gear gard additive in the reduction gear box.

In the unrestricted Honda engines the valves float at high speed. Racers change the valve springs every week. They set the valve clerances to 0.001" hot to get the most out of the cam's duration.

My questions about gearing did not get sutiable answers.

Everyone must work on race night. I have decided to try flagging. I stood with the flagger for a few races this week. Next week I may try a heat race.

Race Safe,


PS: Thanks to Earl for sending me the first few racing logs.

Return to index.

Racing Log #9

After last week's meeting with the wall we had a lot of things to do to get ready for this week. I spent Monday and Tusesday straightening the car. I had to replace a radius rod and the heim joins on one side. I had to straighten the steering arms, steering shaft and one wheel. I also had to straighten the rear bumper from an accident in warm ups. Since the whole front end had to come apart I learned a lot about how it worked. I also learned how to set up the front end from scratch. This was a fair amount of work. I think I have it right.

When I talked with him Joey appeared to have a good attitude after the crash. I was worried about how he would do strapped into the car. Our practice was on Wednesday after school. Ron was our second adult. For an added bonus, the entire Dulaney family showed up to watch.

When we got to the track there were several other cars there. A few seniors, but mostly novices. Joey did great! He got out by himself and fairly quickley got his laps down into the high 7's. He also got out with others and passed and passed and passed. He had a few poor passes where he bumped the other guy after passing, but mostly they good clean passes. He never went dead on the track. I felt like we had made a 100% recovery from the accident, both mentally and mechanically.

Saturday we got to the track a little extra early to get in some practice. Joey did great. His times were in the mid 7's and the car was handling well. We went back to the truck for a snack after about 60 laps. We were about to go out again when the skys opened up. Fortunatley, it was just a summer shower and the track was ready to be dried in about 1/2 hour. (Let's hear it for banked tracks.) I asked Joey if he wanted to help dry the track and he said no. After the announced they wanted more cars out there and he saw the others having no problems he said he wanted to go out.

We suited up and I pushed him off. He rode around with the others as the track went from damp to dry. All the kids were taking it easy and I did not time Joey. Joey did tangle with another kid and he tweaked one of the radius rods. It did not look bad to me. Joey stayed out for track drying for 20-30 minutes before they called us in. They had an quick novice sign up and we lined up. We drew the second spot on the second heat. Joey appeared ready for the race.

Joey got a so-so start and fell back to third. He seemed slow and taking a wider line than normal. He fell back to forth for a few laps then got third back. His line improved and he managed to take 2nd for a lap until some lapped traffic got in his way and he fell back to 3rd. His line never got really good after that and he finished third. This was good since he would make the A-main.

I stood next to the flagger for the Sr. Honda race where I learned a number of tricks. One was to put the yellow flag on the lead car. This helps the kids stay in line and speeds restarts. I also stood for judging of the Sr. stock race. It was interesting to see the track from the other side during a race. I did see one infraction where a kid "nudged" another into a spin coming out of #2. The good guy kept his spot and the bad one was sent to the back. Justice was served.

Joey's finish in the heat put him in position 4 for the A-main. Joey apeared worried about the other fast kids in the race. His warm ups were a bit lack luster. When we pushed off for the race there were a few accidents by other kids in the line up and we had to restart several times. Finally the green came out and Joey held his position. On the second lap a few kids hit and Joey ended up going into the wall with another kid. This time it was a light hit. Joey was fine. The front end was tweaked, but his steering was OK and he was ready to go. He was not happy to go to the back of the pack. The restart went OK, but then 2 laps in two other kids went dead on the track. Restart again... Joey was passing a kid on the back straight and he failed to allow enough room for the other car. They scraped along the wall to a stop. Restart from the back. This was getting old. There were 1-2 more accidents that caused a restart. Joey was not involved, but all of the restarts did not help his his momentum.

Finally the race got underway in earnest. With 4-5 laps to go Joey started to hit his grove and was looking good. He finished 6th. Joey was not happy with his performance. I was happy the race was over and he managed to pass a few cars.

I had a chance to look at the car today. The front end is out by a fair amount. One wheel points north and the other north east. The axle lead is off too. I also think Joey was quite tired for the main race. I think the race started about 8:15 due to the rain delay. Joey's normal bed time is 8:30-9:00. All of those laps drying the track probably added to the fatigue. I think I could have done better as a coach. Drying the track was not a useful thing for race prep.

Next week is time trials. It will be a long day since all of the kids get 10 warm up laps and 3 timed laps with an electronic timer. Feature races will be held after the time trials. Keeping Joey's stamina for this affair will be a challange.

Race Safe,


Return to index.

Racing Log #10

Let's hear it for JB weld

This was an interesting week. I spent the first part of the week straightening out Joey's car from last week's racing. Nothing major, but I had to replace the radius rod mounting bolts and align the front end. I also geared the car up one tooth for the spring qualifiers. By Wednesday I had the car in good shape.

Eric helped me out by being the second adult for a Friday night practice. It turned out to be a rather short practice. After 10 laps or so he threw the chain :-( Eric and I put the chain back on and had Joey back out again in a few minutes. After 2-3 laps the chain came back off. When we lifted the car up to put the chain back on gearbox oil started to pour out. :-0 That ended practice for Friday. The chain had punched a small hole in the gear box cover.

We headed off the Auto zone to get some JB weld. After that we stopped in at the Dairy Queen to have some blizzards and take in the cars that came to the cruise night.

When we got home I gave Joey to Patti to but to bed and I went to work on the car. The chain had punched a dime sized hole in the gear box cover. I had read about JB weld performing great repairs on the road on valve covers and gas tanks. It is time to put it to the test for myself.

I cleaned up the cover real well and roughed up the inside with a die grinder. I used a little duct tape to cover the hole on the outside then I mixed up the JB weld and poured it into the hole. It slowly smoothed out and made a nice surface. I put it under a heat lamp for a bit to take the chill off the assembly. After it set up a little I brought it inside so it could cure at room temperature. At 6:00 am I put it in the oven at 200 F for an hour to finalize the cure.

When I took the tape off the repair looked great. The surfaces looked very smooth and the material had cured like a rock. The aluminum color of the JB weld makes it blend in with the cover. The repair is hard to detect. I spent the next hour putting the cover back on and putting the engine back in. We were ready to head to the track at 8:15.

Today was the spring qualifiers. This is a national level race which is run with all of the technical bases covered. Instead of heat races every kid to got a qualifying time to determine their position in the main race. This qualifying time is part of the drivers official record and is used when competing at state and national races. The cars must run the gas provided by the track to prevent the use of additives and sealed. The oil is also sniffed for additives and sealed. Cars are then weighed and the engines sealed with paint after the qualifying run. The fastest cars are then impounded after the main race and selected ones are torn down to the crank to look for cheaters. This is serious stuff!

Because of the long time required for qualifying all cars were allowed only 7 minutes for practice as a group of 7 cars before the qualifying runs started. Joey was in the first group. He got out there and started his usual cautious warm up. After about 10 laps he put the hammer down and started to pull his lap times into the 8s. Then the chain came off :-O Practice was over for the Dille team.

This was a big disappointment for me. I thought I had everything right with the car. Now this is three times the chain has come off. (Perhaps I should make the first shaft drive quarter midget.) I pushed Joey back to the truck and started to work on the chain. Joey also stopped the engine and car as I had instructed him to prevent the chain from doing damage. Luckily the chain fell clear of the sprocket and did no damage. I set the chain to the proper tension and tightened the engine down real good.

While walking around the pits I ran into the former owner and discussed my chain woes. He talked with me and showed me how the alignment is more important then the tension. I went back to our car and indeed I saw the two sprockets were not aligned quite right. I loosened the engine and set the two sprockets as well as I could. Said a little prayer and tightened the engine back up.

After all the other classes practiced we had a break in the action while they got ready for timing. The race director, who is also the head novice instructor took the time tell Joey how timing would work. He would have 10 warm up laps, then the green flag would come out and the next three would be timed. Then he would get off the track and head to the scale. The pit steward also took some time with Joey and walked him out on the track to show him the electric eye for the timing device and the spot where the flagger would stand. This was very good since Joey could see that the flagger was actually on the track along with the reflector for the electric eye. They were both located off the racing line, but it was good that Joey saw it before he went out. Knowledge is power.

With our fresh load of fuel and sealed tank we pushed up to our position. After getting Joey strapped in I knelt and said a little prayer to the chain god that our chain would stay on. I watched as the first three kids went out. They did well with the timing routine, but the best time was only 8.5 seconds. Our time came quickly and I pushed Joey off. Just as planned, Joey did 5 fast warm up laps and put his foot down. I timed a few and they were in the mid 7s. At the 10th lap the flagger threw the green indicating the start of the three timing laps. After the third lap the flagger threw the checkered and Joey pulled off the track. I waited by the scale to listen for the times. They were all in the 7.3 range with the best one of 7.3523! Last years novice record was 7.3192. Joey had done well. Just as important the chain had not come off.

As timing went on there was only one kid that beat Joeys time with a 7.2. There was one kid with a 7.45 time and there were only 2-3 other kids in the 7s. Joey would be in the #7 spot for the A main. My plan was the change the gearing for the race, but I did not want to anger the chain gods so I left well enough alone.

It took forever for all the kids to qualify, but it was finally time for the mains. Joey started in the back of the pack which was not his best position. Warm ups went well and we lined up. The race went green and the #8 kid passed Joey and kept going towards the front. After several laps Joey passed the #6 car and looked like he was in the groove. Then the yellow came out. Joey got a poor restart and the two kids behind him passed him. He started to position for a pass but the race had ended. He finished 8th out of 8.

This was very disappointing for Joey. I tried to apologize for keeping the same gearing, but he was hard to console. I look at it as a good week. We set the second fastest time for qualifying. More importantly, he did not so much as bump another car and he kept well clear of the wall. I had no alignment work to do this week. We will be back for next week.

Race Safe,


Return to index.

The Dille's Home PageDille's Home Page Joey's  PageJoey's Page